May 26, 2010

I Prefer Being the Doctor

Good morning!

On Tuesday May 4, I started my day with visits to two patients and then an early meeting at Presbyterian Hospital Plano. After the meeting, I went to the preop area. Later that morning, I had a relatively minor scheduled surgery. The surgeon is among the world's best in my estimation. Initially after surgery, everything seemed fine but within a couple of days, I knew there was something amiss.

That's when the month of May became unusual...and a planned one night stay in the hospital became three weeks.

Fortunately, the surgeon acted on what I told him I felt, and not based on the multiple normal scans. He kept me in the hospital and when I "crashed" that weekend, I was in the right place.

I don't remember much of the move to the ICU or the emergent surgery that followed. When I awoke, I found that the original five small holes in my abdomen from the original laparoscopic surgery had been joined by a foot-long incision and I remember trying unsuccessfully to write a note to ask my nurse questions while sedated and on the ventilator.

I've gradually improved and recently come home from the hospital. I cannot eat yet and have a nearly constant companion in the intravenous pump and feedings I carry in a backpack when out of bed. IV antibiotics and other medication have made our bedroom look like a pharmacy or chemistry lab.

We talk about the importance of great medical care. The importance of seeing kids grow up, running a business, hugging family. The past few weeks have been traumatic but these thoughts have never been far away.

Dr. Keith Schrader (my personal physician), Dr. Harry Meyers (surgeon), Dr. Mike Blackmon (critical care), Dr. Kunjan Thakor (infectious disease) and Dr. Trent Pettijohn (cardiology). Along with their partners, these incredible physicians saved my life.

Ingrid has been incredible. She's watched and absorbed everything, and added "nurse" to her already long list of jobs.

I cannot count the emails, cards and prayers from patients, family and friends. Quite a humbling experience.

I'm not sure when I will be back in the office but I hope it will be soon.  I miss being the doctor - I've had more than my share of time being a patient.

Reviewed / Posted by: Scott W. Yates, MD, MBA, MS, FACP