June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

"The most important thing that a father can do for his children is to love their mother."

-- Theodore M. Hesburgh




"A father carries pictures where his money used to be."

-- Unknown




"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. "

-- Red Buttons




"My dad, he'd try anything—carpentry, electrical wiring, plumbing, roofing. From watching him, I learned that no matter how difficult a task may seem, if you're not afraid to try it, you can do it. And when you're done, it will leak."

-- Dave Barry




"Spread the diaper in the position of the diamond with you at bat. Then fold second base down to home and set the baby on the pitcher's mound. Put first base and third together, bring up home plate and pin the three together. Of course, in case of rain, you gotta call the game and start all over again."

-- Jimmy Piersal




"My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it."

-- Clarence Budington Kelland




"My father was frightened of his mother. I was frightened of my father and I am damned well going to see to it that my children are frightened of me."

-- King George V




"To be a successful father... there's one absolute rule: when you have a kid, don't look at it for the first two years."

-- Ernest Hemingway




"My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, 'You're tearing up the grass.' 'We're not raising grass,' Dad would reply. 'We're raising boys.'"

-- Harmon Killebrew




"Any man can be a Father but it takes someone special to be a dad."

-- Anne Geddes




"By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong."

-- Charles Wadsworth




"The blessing of fatherhood is that it makes a man important. So what if you're not as accomplished or smart as you'd hoped to be, if your off-the-cuff comments can't move a stock price? At home, you are the template for manhood. You matter there. A lot. This is your chance."

-- Huch O'Neill, author, in Men's Health Best Life



Why did your mom marry your dad?

1. My dad makes the best spaghetti in the world. And my mom eats a lot.

2. She got too old to do anything else with him.

3. My grandma says that mom didn't have her thinking cap on.

Posted by Scott W. Yates, MD, MBA, MS, FACP